The King Is Still Alive: Maverick McCain



In the past few weeks and days, the buzzards have been circling John McCain. I wrote a column last year about one candidate looking to fill the seat.

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, “ I do not really know John McCain, John McCain is not a friend of mine,  but most of you are NOT John McCain.”

Enough with RINO. Enough with these sanctimonious attacks.

John McCain has been a true American. And I am a Democrat.

Let me tell you what I know.

I’m angry he did not step up to support S528 which grants unpaid leave to parents who have lost a child. I lost a child. I have said so publicly in my columns for The Arizona Republic.

But you always knew where he stood. I did not agree often. But he was deep in his conviction.

I met him once when my wife and I were introduced to him by his wife Cindy. I was Chairman of the AZ Governor's Film and Television Commission and she was one of my commissioners.I have great respect for her as a person, businesswoman and thought leader.

And, as Howard Stern said in ‘Private Parts,” opining about his wife’s devotion:   I love Alison. She stuck with me through the whole thing, you know? You gotta respect that. I think you have to respect that. You HAVE to respect that.”

Who would think I’d use McCain and Howard in the same sentence? I respected Rep. Matt Salmon and Sen. Jeff Flake who also stood by their convictions. I disagreed but they were not silent.

Better yet, what about Black Bart in ‘Blazing saddles?

You have to respect a position, a conviction, and speaking the plain truth.

I honor John McCain. And I will mourn him when he leaves us.

Why? He is a man of integrity. He believes in what is best. If he truly believes, I will not challenge him.

Most people make their promises in jelly. They move to wherever the populous moves. They spend more time keeping their job than doing their job.

I am talking about Rep. Gosar, Ken Bennett. And I say this with Paul Gosar being the lead sponsor on my bill to offer parental leave, HR1560, The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act, currently stalled in Congress, due in large part to some of the polarizing comments by one of its sponsors.

Biting the hand that feeds my daughter’s memory? There comes a time when the greater good is more important than keeping the gig.

I believe every D or R or I who looks at the greater good is the person of character.  Those who only work along party lines have their own interests at heart. Not the entire country, district or town.

The ‘king’ is still alive. You don’t leave true patriots behind because you have issues. You have to look inside their soul and ask: what is it that drives them?

A year from now, John McCain may longer be with us. But whether I agree with him or not, I know what we had and what he wanted for us, not as Arizonans but as Americans.

Stop whining. Reach inside yourselves and ask yourself: what matters as Americans? If decency, conviction and care for the greater good are not on your list, then you only care about yourselves and not about us a nation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bartenders of the Millenium

Dear Penthouse: I Never Thought This Would Happen to Me but today.....

Mourning Breakfast